There may come a time when you’d like to quickly share a file with others who may not have Box accounts and who don’t need to be collaborators in your folders. A Shared Link is a unique URL that can be sent to someone to allow access to a specific file or folder on Box. These are URLs that will take any recipient right to the folder or file they need, without giving access to any other part of your account. The link can be opened in any browser. Anyone with the link can access the content it points to, even if the individual does not have a Box account.
Create a Shared Link
- Open the folder you want to share
- Click the More button
- Click the Share link
Access to Shared Links
When a shared link is created, you control who has access to the link. There are 3 options:
- Anyone with the link
- People in your company (TCU Only): By default, a shared link is created with access to People in you company. You may change this access to one of the other groups.
- People in this folder
Advanced Settings Options for Shared Links
Use the gear icon from the sharing screen to get to these options.
- Set Custom URL: Create a custom URL that is easy to remember.
- Password: Set a password for added security
- Set Link Expiration: Shared Links can be set to expire. By default, when a TCU Box user creates a shared link, an expiration for the link is set to 180 days.
- Allow Downloading: Choose to allow or not to allow downloading of the files.
- Email: Use the Email button to Send the shared link to your collegues
View activity statistics to see when a file is downloaded or viewed by others.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Then choose Access Stats
Box has a built-in email notification system to let you know what is happening with your files and folders.
- To adjust your default notifications, click your name in the upper right corner of the window and select Account Settings
- Click the Sharing tab from the top navigation
- Scroll down to see your email notification settings
- You can also customize notifications at the folder level. Right-click on the folder, select Settings and scroll down to see the notification settings.
Other Account Settings
- To see your storage quota, click your name in the upper right corner of the window and select Account Settings. The storage used is shown under the Account tab and is down at the bottom of the page.
- To see your login activity/history, click your name in the upper right corner of the window and select Account Settings. The login activity is shown under the Security tab.
Collaboration with Box
Use Box to create an online, secure space to work with collaborators.
- Open the folder you will use for collaboration
- Click the Invite People button
- Type the name of the person you want to invite or choose from the contacts
- Next choose the access level such as co-owner, editor or previewer
- Enter a message if needed
- Click Send to add the person as a collaborator and to notify the new collaborator
- Alternatively, you can click the Get Invite Link button to create a link and send that link to a group of people that you want to invite as collaborators
Box for Office
Open, edit and save files in Box directly from Microsoft Office and Office 365 ProPlus on your Windows computer using Box for Office. Share files with others from Office and Outlook using shared links to avoid insecure attachments, save network bandwidth and reduce storage costs. Box for Office requires Windows 7 or higher and Office 2010 or higher. Box for Office is not available for Macintosh. More details can be found at Box for Office Integrations.
Install Box for Office:
- Login to your account at http://tcu.box.com/
- Click your name in the upper right corner of the window and select Apps from the menu
- Find Box Edit and click to download
Use Box for Windows:
- Open Microsoft Word, Excel or PowerPoint and navigate to the Open menu.
- Choose Box as a source to open files from and login to your Box account.