Wireless Device Policy
Since any technology making the use of the 2.4 or 5-gigahertz frequency range could interfere with the University wireless systems either in place or planned, it is essential that an impact study be made prior to purchase or installation. Information Technology needs to be involved on any of the following:
- Any device transmitting using the 802.11a, 802.11b or 802.11g wireless standard must be facilitated through the Information Technology department.
- Cordless phones using the 2.4 -gigahertz frequency need to be coordinated with Information Technology to minimize interference with any wireless network devices.
Revised: April 3, 2004
Connectivity Guide Policy
|IP Only – No Support – Externally Housed||IP Only – IT Support – Internally Housed||IP + Domain – IT Support – Internally Housed|
|Must abide by the Acceptable Use(TCU Computing Resource Policy)||yes||yes||yes|
|Disconnect w/ Notification(should they fall out of compliance)||yes||yes||yes|
|Disconnect w/o Notification(severe disruption, hack, etc)||yes||yes||yes|
|If disconnected – does IThelp them get back to compliance?||no||yes||yes|
|Right to restrict services/ports(napster, dhcp)||yes||yes||yes|
|Legally licensed server software(must provide copy of license)||yes||yes||yes|
|IT is local administrator(or know a local admin user/pass)||no||yes||yes|
|3rd Party Local Admins(such as some support contractor)||yes||yes||no|
|3rd Pary Remote Access ablility||yes||yes||no|
|Patch Level Compliance(must they meet our patch level)||yes||yes||yes|
|Compliance Timeframe – beforewe disconnect them?||14 days||7 days||7 days|
|Prior Notification before connecting||yes||yes||yes|
|HW/SW Warranties – must alwaysbe in-warranty. Recommend anynew purchase have a min. of 2 yrs.||no||yes||yes|
|Support/IT benefit section|
|Can use our generator?||no||yes||yes|
|Benefits from locked machine room||no||yes||yes|
|IT responsible for backups?(don’t forget cost of backups)||no||yes||yes|
|Use of Operators (e.g. reboot myserver please, monitor uptime?)||no||yes||yes|
|Support for implementing patches||no||yes||yes|
|Support for OS version upgrades.||no||yes||yes|
|Physical Access to machine room without IT supervision||no||no||no|
What’s our main goal of this document?
- Safeguard the availability of our existing network
- Minimize “rogue” servers for a variety of reasons
- Create a document based on these concepts that can be signed by the department allowing us to enforce these items.